Family Learning Center
Sometimes you need resources to help you care. Now you have them… 24/7 with the Family Learning Center™
Being a family caregiver for a spouse, parent, child or loved one takes time, effort and work. You may not always have the answers, know what to expect, or how to react. Now, with our Family Learning Center™, you have a resource available for accurate information to make it easier to care for your loved one… and yourself.
Get answers you need, just when you need them.
If you or someone you know needs in-home care outside of Columbia and the central Missouri area, we are pleased to recommend our colleagues throughout North America. As fellow members of The Senior’s Choice, the nation’s largest network of independent private duty companies, we represent the highest level of senior care available for your loved ones. To find a member of The Senior’s Choice in your area, simple visit their website by clicking on the above link.
Bright Focus Foundation is one of America’s leading supporters of scientific and medical investigations into Alzheimer’s disease, glaucoma, macular degeneration, heart disease, and stroke.
- 9200 Ward Parkway, Suite 350, Kansas City
- Local meetings at 10 a.m. every second Monday of the month at Boone Electric Cooperative’s community room for Mid-Missouri Chapter 5390, 1413 Range Line St., 573-449-4181.
- Services: Advocacy, travel, tax assistance, driver safety program
N4A’s primary mission is to build the capacity of its members to help older persons and persons with disabilities live with dignity and choices in their homes and communities for as long as possible.
The leading, global voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care and support, and the largest private, nonprofit funder of Alzheimer research. The Alzheimer’s Association works on a global, national and local level to enhance care and support for all those affected by Alzheimer’s and related dementias.
- MU campus, 137 Clark Hall
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Services: State-licensed adult day health care program that includes nursing supervision, hot lunches, daily activities and therapeutic exercise, respite for caregivers.
- Fees: Call for fee information. Medicaid accepted and some assistance available for those who qualify.
- 1121 Business Loop 70 E., Suite 2A
- 573-443-5823, 573-443-0105 TTY
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Eligibility: Age 60 and older A federal/state/private-funded not-for-profit organization that serves 19 Central Missouri counties. Services: Information and assistance, care coordination, case management, options counseling. Respite assistance program. Provides congregate and home-delivered meals for a suggested donation of $3.50 per meal. (See Oakland Senior Center entry). Long-term care ombudsman program for nursing home residents (See long-term care ombudsman entry). Transportation assistance (call for details). Medicare education and assistance with enrollment.
- Fees: None
- 1121 Business Loop 70 E.
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday; 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday
- Services: Daily meals, blood pressure and glucose screenings, volunteer opportunities and activities, including cards, dances, dominoes, exercise, pool, educational seminars.
- Fees: Lunch costs $6 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays (soup and salad $4) and $7 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays. Closed Saturday.
- 2502 W. Ash St.
- Phone/TTY: 573-445-5005
- Crisis line: 800-380-3323
- All direct services are free. Education, advocacy, crisis intervention services, free counseling and other direct services for the deaf, hard of hearing or deaf and blind. Free counseling for hearing and deaf individuals who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, rape, incest and child abuse.
- 1500 Vandiver Drive, Suite 107
- No-fee services for honorably discharged veterans, their dependents and survivors. Assists in filing for VA benefits, compensation pensions, death benefits/burial allowances, military grave markers, education and training. Applications for state veterans’ homes and the Missouri Veterans Cemetery System.
- 1401 Hathman Place
- 573-874-1646; TDD 800-766-1968
- Services for seniors and people with mental or physical disabilities, with door-to-door transportation for grocery shopping and medical appointments. Call for intake process.
- Fees: $2 one way inside city limits, $3 outside city limits and $5 one way county-to-county in the service region.
- 1st Thursday of each month
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- Lenoir Woods Community Center, 1 Hourigan Drive, 65201
- Contact: Patsy Dalton 573-356-6036